Welcome to BeachPatrol

Cigarette Butt Litter Surveys

Results for BeachPatrol’s groups cigarette butt litter recording

Cigarette Butt

Cigarette Butt Litter Surveys

The prevalence of cigarette butts as litter has grown unwelcoming large these past few years. The action of dropping a butt on the ground and stamping it out with the foot then leaving it there has become all too common place. Even when ashtrays and bins are within arm’s length, the smokers still drop them on the ground. It has become ‘their’ acceptable behavior. The result is 1000’s of butts are littered all over our streets and outside hotels and cafes.

Cigarette Butt Litter Collection Summary

No Of Surveys 453
Total Butt Count 588801

Cigarette Butt Litter Surveys

It would be unacceptable for any other product but somehow smokers have made this appear normal behavior. Only 14% of the population smokes, yet those small number of people cause a large environmental pollution problem for the other 86%. This is not acceptable. Further, when the location is near a beach, the storm water drains then wash this toxic litter down on to the beach or into the ocean.

BeachPatrol as part of its caring for the beaches and bays is very conscious of the butt litter reaching our beaches and then the ocean. We conduct cigarette butt litter surveys periodically to ascertain the quantity of butts in some well know areas and report those results to local businesses and councils.

Last 6 Surveys

blue hole carpark to whale watching platform

1

Butts

3280

BeachPatrol

1

No Of People

00:45

Time Spent

Balaclava Station and surrounds

600

Butts

3185

Love Our Street

5

No Of People

05:00

Time Spent

Elwood: circuit - parts of Mitford, Milton, Addison, Meredith, Bay Trail, Canal

45

Butts

3184

Love Our Street

1

No Of People

01:30

Time Spent

levys beach (east)

1

Butts

3280

BeachPatrol

1

No Of People

03:00

Time Spent

point Ritchie to granny's grave

2

Butts

3280

BeachPatrol

1

No Of People

00:35

Time Spent

Hansen and Etzel Reserve

400

Butts

3042

Love Our Street

3

No Of People

04:30

Time Spent